Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Brother the Drone.

I have a hard time stating my...reservations in what I consider a "handout" from my brother. Mom thinks my lack of elation stems from ungratefulness, which is hardly the case as I am grateful.

My brother set up a college fund for my daughter that accrues interest over time. He opened the fund with $1000. It's awesome really, that he cares so much for his niece. I am happy for that, especially when I think about how much debt the poor girl has already acquired thanks to the Bush and Obama administrations. It's nice to know that in 18 years she may not have to worry about adding to that debt just by getting the education she deserves.

The problem I have lies in my brother's arrogance and the fact that he believes he is better and smarter than everyone, including me, and so by giving this money he will have some sort of "say" in her upbringing because I apparently am not qualified. The biggest reason, however, he feels I am unfit to train is because I completely disagree with his blind and ignorant following of Obama.

As someone who once considered herself a Democrat, I've spent the past several years evaluating my beliefs and politics and now find myself falling amongst the socially liberal, fiscally libertarian group. Basically, as a lover of Ayn Rand, I equate a lot of what's happening in the economy today with Atlas Shrugged. I recommend that book to everyone. But I digress.

I don't want to ever seem ungrateful for what my brother has done for my daughter, but in the same token I don't want to get caught up under his thumb and feel like I have to bow to his whim.

I hate being in limbo, and I can't wait to escape.

No comments:

Post a Comment