Sunday, September 26, 2010

Is it flu season already?

At Delaney's four-month well-baby checkup, it was recommended that my family get the flu shot, as Delaney is yet too young to receive one.  Now, when it comes to standard vaccines, I am all for it.  I do not believe they cause Autism, and they serve a wonderful purpose of protecting us from serious and deadly diseases.  I find it hard to tolerate those who do not vaccinate their children, as their presence invites weakness and instability to a working system.

I do, however, find exceptions to the standard regime as it has grown from my childhood.  I will not vaccinate my children against chickenpox.  I have had the pox twice, and shingles twice as well (including on my wedding day).  To me, there is no guarantee with chickenpox, and I think children should come across it naturally.  I sure did.  Not remembering that I had it as a baby, when my brother contracted it I wanted it soooooo bad because I didn't want to go to school.  My mom continuously banished me to the outdoors, but I won (though now I don't really feel like I won anything at all!), because in the end I got the chickenpox so bad I had a 105 degree fever and pox covering my entire body, including inside my nose, ears and butt.  I have some pretty scars to remind me of the experience.  I didn't die, or come close to dying.  I don't know anyone who has, either, though I am sure there are occurrences.  I think it is something children should experience to strengthen their immune systems naturally.

I honestly believe the same thing for the flu, even though the flu almost killed me as a baby.  It is just something we all need to experience.  In fact, I rarely get the normal kind of sick, the flu sick.  I just don't.  I don't get strep throat, or ear infections and I very very rarely get bronchitis (though one of the three times I had it I developed pneumonia without realizing, three days before traveling overseas).  I get allergy colds, and that is pretty much all.  So do I really feel like I need to get a flu shot for my entire family?  I'm not sure.  We all got the flu shot and the H1N1 shot last year as I was pregnant with Delaney and H1N1 was supposedly more dangerous.  Now that H1N1 isn't much of a threat, do I make the decision to get the flu shot?

What do you all think of the flu shot?  Do you get it or not, and why have you made that decision?  I really want to see all sides of the coin on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment